Cj Smith, MBACP, PG Dip, MA
About the Therapist
I offer to safely hold therapeutic space as you explore issues which may be troubling you, to adapt to your specific needs, and to support you in your process of exploring your thoughts and feelings.
I hold this safe(r) space through adopting a compassionate and non-judgemental approach, with the intention to show up authentically in relationship and to empower you to realise your own potential.
My ability to hold this safe(r) space is informed by my LGBTQ+/ gender, sexuality relationship diversity (GSRD) affirmative and anti-oppressive values and professional experience; and by my understanding of trauma, neurodiversity and intersectionality.
I hold a Diploma in Integrative Psychotherapy (Distinction) from UCLAN and a Diploma in Gender, Sexuality and Relationship Diversity from Pink Therapy) and I am BACP accredited.
Before working together, you can arrange a free half hour ‘taster’ session. This is an opportunity for you to tell me about yourself, get a sense of how we dialogue together and ask any questions you have about my approach, values or professional background.
Whilst based in South Manchester, I am currently working online only, but will make exceptions to accommodate access requirements.
|Award||Awarding body||Year of award|
||University of Sussex||2011|
||University of Manchester,||2002|
||Compassionate Mind Foundation||2021|
||Compassionate Mind Foundation||2020|
I am trained in an Integrative and Person-centred approach. I also work in an inclusive, relational and compassion focused way.
What this means is that:
- As a Person-Centred therapist I place the needs, wishes and beliefs of you, the client, at the centre of our therapeutic work together, work with where you are at at the present time, and at your pace
- As an Integrative therapist I am trained in a variety of psychotherapeutic approaches which address different ‘layers’ or aspects of experience. I draw on these approaches flexibly, as appropriate to your needs
- As an Inclusive Therapist I strive work in an LGBT+ affirmative, accessible and intersectional way
- As a Relational therapist, rather than seeing the client as an Island, I strive to understand your experience in terms of the therapeutic relationship between us and how this might mirror other relationships in your life
- As a Compassion Focused Therapist I support my clients in 'turning down the volume' on negative, shame based thoughts and feelings and 'turning up the volume' on self- compassion thoughts and feelings
I have been practicing as an Integrative Psychotherapist since 2017. In 2018 I received my Diploma in Integrative Psychotherapy from UCLAN University, graduating with Distinction, and I set up my private practice, Rain or Shine Psychotherapy, in 2019.
Since 2019 I have been working exclusively with LGBTQQIIA+/Gender, Sexuality Relationship diverse clients. The majority of my clients are trans, non-binary and gender diverse. To meet the needs of this client group, I am neurodivergence affirmative and trauma informed.
I have completed the Pink Therapy Gender, Sexuality and Relationship Diversity Diploma, a qualification which has enriched my understanding of LGBTQIA/ GSRD identities and experiences and given me opportunities to reflect on how I practice in relation to topics such as intersectionality, conversion therapy and living and working in the same communities as my clients.
My psychotherapeutic work is informed by my earlier career in trans advocacy, LGBTQ support, disability support and education studying literature through an anti-oppressive lens. You can find full details of my qualifications and professional resume by clicking here.
- Compassion-focused therapy
- GSRD therapy
- Ace | Asexual
- BDSM | Kink
- Bi- | Pansexual
- Consensual non-monogamy
- Non-binary | Genderqueer
- Survivors of attempted conversion therapy
- One to one
- Partially wheelchair-adapted
- Young adults (16-24)
Based in South Manchester, I currently work online only except where there is an access need to work face to face.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.